Things to Do and Places to See
• Hike, Swim or Fish at Balls Ferry State Park - Balls Ferry is a nice spot for fishing and swimming and has river access for boats and kayaks. The Park is pet-friendly and has on-site bathrooms and a pavilion with picnic tables. There are miles of trails for walking and hiking, and the park is a WMA for hunters during game seasons. Click here for directions.
• Tour the Historic Union Church - The Historic Union Church stands like a beacon in the county seat, Irwinton. Next door to the Blue Goose, we offer exclusive access to the inside of the church and can give you the scoop on its history. One of the only structures left standing, and used as a hospital by Union troops after the Battle of Griswoldville, the Union Church is a piece of the community we have preserved and maintained throughout the years. Click here to donate.
• Visit the Old Train Depot Museum - Located in Gordon, just fifteen minutes from the Goose, you can tour the Old Depot Museum. Gordon was formerly a depot town, and the history lives on. For tours, visit on either the first or the third Saturday of every month from 10 AM to 4 PM. Admission is free. Click here for directions.
Places to Eat
• Maebob's Diner - Maebob's Diner is the favorite of the county, and it's pretty much in our back yard. Just head right up the street to the stoplight. Don't miss out on amazing lunch specials like fried chicken, country fried steak, porkchops, green beans, coleslaw, barbecue and mac and cheese. Maebob's is open 7 AM to 8 PM during the week, until 9PM on Friday and until 2 PM on Saturday and Sunday. For the menu, click here.
• Thompson's Cove - Fried fish every Thursday through Saturday from 5-9. The county's best catfish can be found here, along with several in- and out-of-county customers. Don't miss out on a seafood dinner here if you can help it, because its well worth the ten minute drive (wink). Click here for directions.
Irwinton & Middle Georgia
THE BLUE GOOSE